Monday, November 14, 2011

swimming in the rain, baking scones and writing in pencil


we drove up to Bellingen today, to get our fix of hinterland loveliness. It was raining by the time we got there, but we strolled around town, drank coffee and read the Sunday papers, then headed to the river for the obligatory swim in the river. I didn't think I wanted to go in, but once I was swimming and feeling the rain pouring down on us, it was pretty exhilarating.

Stormy days in Australia conjure up a bit of a problem for me. You see, when it is stormy at home, it's cold. So stormy weekends are spent snuggling, cooking and sheltering from the elements. But over here, you have to be a little more creative. Having said that, I felt that considering I'd had a swim in the river and a rainy walk, I was entitled to bake some scones.

Sunday night quite often means pulling out a heap of recipe books and writing our shopping list for the week. Tonight I scribbled it down with a pencil, and had forgotten how lovely writing in pencil really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment